Spanish chickpea soup with spinach and tomato – under 300 calories
Calories: 281 per serving
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- pinch of sugar
- 1.2 litres (2pt) vegetable stock
- 200g (7oz) spinach leaves
- 2 free-range eggs, hard-boiled
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- large handful parsley, roughly chopped
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently cook the onion and garlic for five minutes.
2. Add the paprika and cook for two minutes.
3. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes and sugar, and cook for two minutes.
4. Add the stock, bring to a very gentle simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Wilt the spinach in the microwave for 30 seconds, squeeze out the excess moisture, and add to the pan. Cook for another two minutes.
6. Separate the egg yolks from the white and finely chop both. Serve the soup scattered with the spring onions, egg and parsley.
Source: Woman & Home magazine.