Low carb zucchini fries
These baked zucchini fries with crushed almonds instead of bread crumbs make a very light, tasty snack or side. Correct preparation gets rid of extra liquid so they don’t go soggy in the oven. Just like having fried food without the oil and calories!
Recipe makes: 6 servings
Calories: 98 per serving
Protein: 8.9g per serving
Fat: 5.4g per serving
Carbs: 4.5g per serving
- 2 zucchini
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning (you could also use basil and garlic)
1. Preheat oven to 220°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or use a wire rack to save the need for turning).
2. Cut zucchini into three inch lengths, then cut each piece into nine fries.
3. Place zucchini fries into a colander and sprinkle with salt. Let the pieces drain for at least an hour to remove excess liquid.
4. Beat the eggs in a bowl.
5. Mix the almonds, Parmesan cheese, and seasoning in another bowl.
6. Rinse the salt off the zucchini pieces and pat dry with paper towels.
7. Dip each zucchini piece into the beaten egg, and then roll it in the almond coating.
8. Place the coated fries on the prepared baking sheet or rack.
9. Bake for about 25 minutes – until the zucchini pieces are tender and the coating is crisp and browned, turning them halfway through cooking time.